BROKEN CHAINS THAT BIND By Nana Kofi Amuah

I'm torn between staying lonely and repeating my mistakes. 
Both decisions would lead me back to square one. 
But I can't stay idle- the ground beneath me has begun to quake-
Leaving this place which until recently used to be my safe haven causes fright that forces me to hold on to this last free moment like a castaway holds his flare gun. 



I toss and turn every time you update your Facebook status cuz they are always about him. 
How then could you expect me to receive you with a warm grin. 
Hope used to be a well endowed woman but malnutrition has left her rather thin. 
I must stop caring. Or at least pretend I don't. 
Our cup is full- it's filled up to the brim. 



I buried your live memories with a bowl of noodles, a tv remote and a bong. 
As gruesome as that may seem, it helps me filter reminders of u from these random radio songs. 
But you attack my sub conscious. 
Break into my dreams and make me wake up with a cold sweat- you are that vicious. 



I touched ink and paper to exhibit my split personality.
But somehow, the three 'me's' submit. 
I was your slave so I broke these chains intentionally. 
And yet, freedom from your memory would be the only thing I omit.

Comments